The Imagery of World Cup 2006

I must confess I am stressed so I have to write about the World Cup for the second time today. I just saw Germany beat Argentina in a penalty shootout 4-2 last night and I know I said earlier God must be Italian (hence European) after they wrested Australia's chances away, but why?

I guess because the game is filled with such unpredictability, everyone watches and begins to believe their own prayers. You begin to ask yourself- in relation to World Cup developments - is this world really wired so that the deserving get rewarded or is chance so much a player?

I read of words like "revenge", "lessons", 'retaliation" and "punishment". There are mataphors galore - when Scolari is the opposing coach, you hear words about the battlefield. With Australia, the press even referred to the battle of Gallipoli, etched deep in the Aussie psyche. When you read about forecasts or analyses of the strategies of coaches, you realise that the language of chess has been appropriated. We have moves and tactics. When we get to talking about my seventy plus Mum's favourite team, we use the language of Latin Dance. The Brazilians - as every fan will affirm - don't dribble, they dance. They don't do the runs, they do the samba. If we had to come up with a virtual simulation of the Brazilian way, it will be the furthest thing from the NTUC Income's very bland line dance CD I have at home. Then when we talk about Ghana, we talk about unashamedly racial pride. They are the Black Stars. But the World Cup is a great way to root for your kind. Cheering for your national colours ain't that bad especially since most countries,except for the South American and African countries are not averse to securing skills through citizenships so in the end the World Cup teams are less defined by racial dominance as it is with the best available talent carrying the right passport.

I love in particular the high drama. The theme of "Rags to Riches". Young boys from very poor backgrounds can shimmy and dribble their way to scintillating sports livelihoods. The more backward the country, the bigger the prize seems. It feels good when you know that they can make it in some sport.

So I have said my piece. Got to catch some daytime sleep now. Tonight is going to be punishing again.

Comments

Popular Posts