Hey, I'm Singaporean!

Just read my previous posting again (I am a compulsive checker) and realised that some of you might think I am a Chinese National. Naw, I am Singaporean bred and born. The Shanghainese are a dialect group just like the Hokkien and Teochew. I always told my husband whose father is Sinhalese and mother Hainanese, that he managed to marry a Chinese who belongs to a smaller minority group than he does.

I know my food haunts very well, I express myself responsibly (no persistently politically fault casting in public) and I take exams seriously and understand that in Singapore "express" does not mean speeded up and "normal" is not. I have consumed more wanton (wonder what the Google Crawler will make of this word) than xiao long bao, more mee pok than ban mian. I have watched Hindi movies and yearned for prata, thosai and laksa after a trip overseas replete with sights but short on cuisines. I'm always agog when Incredible Tales comes on on TV, cos I love our urban legends and rural Pontianaks.

Yes, I'm Singaporean, a title you will find me both proud and sheepish to carry.

Comments

Popular Posts