The Google Crawler - A Cross-Referencing Wonder

I have been looking out for the advertisements that pop up in the latest postings. I was not meaning to write anything today but I can't resist talking about the ads.

I think I know how the crawler works to throw up ads with "relevance". First I had ad links to Indian websites cos the crawler must have assumed that I was an Indian lady with a name like Mrs Nora de Silva. Sad to disappoint, I am Chinese though me dialect group is Shanghainese (there are very very few of us in Singapore). My husband is Sinhalese, hence the "de Silva". Stuck with me since RI days. Those from Victoria Junior College know me as Miss Yuan.

When I started my American Idol postings, fan sites started appearing. Kelli Pickler's fan site stayed on for quite a while. No, I did not mention calamari.

LIT. CRUSADING and English Enrichment tips aside, I realise now that I have recurring themes - Singapore issues (especially related to school), media issues both American and Singaporean, and decidedly irresponsible and ridiculous celebrity endorsements, and language interference from a multi-lingual situation. Guess what happened - the Soul Patrol turned up, and slimming pills and now even discreet plastic surgery establishments. Did you see the website with a three-letter word and "Therapy"? Don't pretend, I know quite a few people clicked on it. Who wouldn't?

Raffles Hotel and some really up-market ads also graced my blog.
So the Google crawler is really a very smart cross-referencer. It takes note of the issues and ideas addressed and connects you them to other relevant ads. That's a thinking skill that academics use in their research and businessman use in weaving their business plans.

So Ad-watching and analysis is an thinking exercise in itself, DON'T CHA think so?

(still trying to angle for a PussyCat Dolls ad!)

Comments

Alex moner said…
I was not meaning to write anything today but I can't resist talking about the ads.http://www.chillyads.com/pets/horses/

Popular Posts