Singlish in a poem: Arthur Yap is gone

Ironic I should have mentioned Royston Tan just two days ago. A wonderful Singapore poet just passed away on 19 June 2006. He was my lecturer at NUS and a very private man. But what a poet! He made it right to sound Singaporean in a literary way. He gave us Singlish in a poem. I will retrieve at least one favourite poem of mine - that one on mothers in a hdb playground and share it with you.

Dense, but sharp poetry, and if you have never heard of him, all the better... For those of you who wonder, why bother? His poems are superb material for the UNSEEN POETRY section. So allow me to share with you the next time you visit.

Comments

I must say u're lucky to have met & had Arthur Yap as yr teacher in lit class, i never had that kind of luxury. =)

Nevertheless, i do agree with u that his poetry is sharp (esp. for his shorter more succinct poems). Some of my favs are: "paper", "in memory of) anthony", "old photographs", " a reccurent event" and "a scroll painting".

Popular Posts