Get your adjectives right - Curse with class!

I used to ask all my pupils, especially those new to me when they joined my English enrichment classes, "Which language do you dream in? When you are mad, what language do you use?" The answer is useful because it tells me which language they would use when their subconscious mind takes over. That is the language they judge and assess the world with.

I have a lot of respect for kids who hail from Chinese-speaking homes. While teaching GEP (gifted education programme) kids, I found myself thinking really hard about the difference between children brought up in English-speaking homes and children tucking to meals everyday in Chinese-speaking households. I came to the conclusion that while kids in Chinese-speaking homes may feel disadvantaged at the onset, their pole position changes real fast cos one of the skills that led to their language acquisition in Mandarin is RECALL and that can do no harm when they put their minds to learning English. I have personally seen pupils go from measly sub-50 grades and no conception of how to even think in English to become major writing talents in their twenties.

Yeah, but you say, they are gifted! Trust me, there were many occasions their behaviour and inability to deliver results was anything but.

Let me share with you a little taster of a language learning tip:
1 Deliver your insults,and all manner of emotional outbursts in the language you want to master.
2 Review that gripping TV serial in that same language.
3 Dream new scenarios between your beloved screen idols in the language you want to score As in.

If this is all too much to you, just stick to 1. To get it right, hone your language for accuracy and depth. For example, it is far more creative to call someone an "imbecile" as opposed to the more common "idiot". Ditto for "moron" as compared to "retard" which is quite offensive. How about calling someone a "situationist" rather than outright "liar"? Go figure.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Perhaps we dont mean the word to be so civilised. Civilization might not gain respect. But then again, it's just how the way you intepret things at the end of the day. Controlling yourself.
Mrs De said…
Maybe "liar' should be "fictionalist". To Chris Daughtry Fans this week, they are so angry they might say "Elliott' instead of "idiot"!

Popular Posts