Show me the words!

for those of you logging in to find study tips I shall oblige today: I remember when I was teaching the students who came to me for my Literature programmes on tackling Unseen Poetry, I would get to the lesson which I tell them is My Shaolin Shi (read precious martial arts manual kept by reclusive temple monks).

Then I see their eyes open and I always use as a gauge then exactly what the really results-driven pupils think of what they are about to hear.

This is what I tell them:

Part of the reason pupils find Literature tests and exams particularly frustrating is because even if they think they have an acceptable opinion (look I am being honest about how they feel), they can't find the appropriate words to express that view. Worse still, they find it very challenging to switch from appreciation of a text, poem, or story to analysing its appeal or effect on the reader.

I think we can go a long way to solving this for left-brainers used to solving maths problems and applying logic and formula by understanding that you need to master certain groups of words to describe and explain your preception or observation.

For starters, let's just say you wish to describe the image that comes to mind when you read the lines of a poem.

conjured up
suggested
brought to mind
gave me a sense of
reminded me of
conveyed a sense of
jolted to mind
teasingly recalled
unashamedly alluded to
calls to mind
triggered associations with

Notice how the addition of the adjectives "teasingly" and "unashamedly" influence and weigh down on the verbs.

Start with this approach. Ready yourself with the words and you will be able to describe your observation, perception or insight with precision.

Comments

Popular Posts