2nd for today: The Ryder Cup vs Singapore Idol

I know. I should have blogged last Friday. I didn't. I'm sorry.

Worse still, I was enjoying myself then. It feels good when you see a group of golfers from countries as diverse as Spain and Ireland beat a Tiger-led team to the ground.

Golf is a strange game, bred for the strong and silent. If you like to figure out things for yourself, you might like golf. If you are a people person, you can like golf cos a flight is four players. But if you want to compete, golf is a distinctly lonely game.

The Ryder Cup combines a few things: huge interest in seeing a continent full of players tee off against stellar American players, a promise of gamemanship and plenty of strategising behind the scenes by the captains.

And all for no money at all. So much ego at stake, so much national pride, so much history. Golfer's wives wear uniforms so the press can't tell them apart. There is plenty of themes at play here: Experience versus youth, Passion, one for all and all for one, love of country, and surely (I jest) too much sun makes you bald. Sure beats the lacklustre ending to the second season of Singapore Idol. My father-in-law voted for Hady. Twice. Maybe men don't like men with hair extensions.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi mrs d.

Any tips on analysing poems and telling the attitude of the poet?

And... What benefits would there be choosing Litersture in English as a pure humanities instead of an elective subject?

Anon

Popular Posts