Singapore Idol, Miss Singapore and Singaporeans in general

Matilda's out. Enough said about us Singaporeans not being able to appreciate talent. It's a singing competition, some say, so what's this with the better singers being voted out... blah...blah...blah.

I thought I got a hint when my husband's colleague responded the other day with a mighty retort: Singapore Idol is for shallow people. And all I did was to ask on a slow Thursday morning if he had watched Singapore Idol the night before. Before I could say anything else, he added, " I know tons of people who can sing better than the finalists."

If I agree with his first statement, I will be asking for trouble. But I can't help but agree with his last statement.

I see Singapore Idol going the way of the Ms Singapore pageants. Why?

1 You know George Bernard Shaw's "If you can, do. If you can't, teach"? I have a new twist: If you can, stay out. If you can't, join. If you remember how critical Singaporeans can be when it comes to assessing the participants in a beauty pageant or even the first instalment of Singapore Idol, man, it is a wonder anyone with a Singapore passport will risk their reputation on a few minutes of fame.

2 Singaporeans don't seem to have any real pain or at least none like the sort that will make a chronic diabetic like Elliott Yamin borrow money from friends and supporters to drive from Richmond to Los Angeles to audition on a whim and a dream. Unless my memory fails me, for the last Singapore Idol and this present one, we have the honour of a finalist caving in to the pressures of junior college to quit the competition in the last minute, with ready tears and sufficient regrets. It's the whole Singapore Scholar bond-breaker thing again. Somebody who wanted it more just lost the chance - again.

3 Second instalments may not attract as many talented participants because Singaporeans are thin-skinned. We aren't that hungry and certainly not willing to appear that needy. Let someone else who really needs it join. Taufik Batisah delivered pizzas and Tan Wei Lian is a blind busker, so they both clearly wanted the stardom, and deservedly won it.

If you know someone who can sing, chances are he or she did not think he or she was good enough, never mind being willing to take the heat of competition. Most importantly, there is no pain and therefore no need. So cheers to Matilda D'Silva for having the guts to take the heat so far!

Comments

~|30j said…
Actually Mrs De... I agree with the first sentence. The people i see on buses wasting their precious money on such useless idolling is disappointing... And sadly they're from my school =(

Joel Zhou(Rmb me?)
Mrs De said…
Hi Joel!,

Great to hear from you! Of course I remember you. You and your cousin. If you want my email address, just go into http://www.english-enrichment.com and swing by a request in any contact form with your email there.

Popular Posts